If a bicyclist is killed or injured on Iowa roadways, it is a lesser penalty than if a motorist or even pedestrian is struck on Iowa roadways. The enhanced penalty of $1000 fine and 6-month revocation for fatal crashes or $500 fine and 3-month revocation for serious injury is applied to the following violations:
No action needed at this time.
Moving violations listed in 321.482A: Click to View
- 321.178(2)(a)(2) Restricted license (electronic communications or entertainment)
- 321.180B(6) 321.180B Graduated driver’s licenses for persons aged fourteen through seventeen. (electronic communications)
- 321.194(1)(c) Special minors’ licenses (electronic communications)
- 321.256 Obedience to Traffic Control Devices
- 321.257 Official Traffic Control Signal
- 321.275 (4) Use of traffic lanes two abreast
- 321.276 Use of electronic communication device while driving — text-messaging.
- 321.297 Driving on right-hand side of roadway – exceptions.
- 321.298 Meeting and turning to right.
- 321.299 Overtaking a vehicle
- 321.302 Overtaking and passing
- 321.303 Limitations on overtaking on the left
- 321.304 Prohibited passing
- 321.305 One-way roadways and rotary traffic islands
- 321.306 Roadways laned for traffic
- 321.307 Following too closely
- 321.308 Motor trucks and towed vehicles – distance requirements
- 321.309 Towing – convoys (subsection 2 – maintain 500′ between towed vehicles)
- 321.311 Turning at intersections
- 321.319 Entering intersections from different highways
- 321.320 Left turns – yielding
- 321.321 Entering through highways
- 321.322 Vehicles entering stop or yield intersection
- 321.323 Moving vehicle backward on highway
- 321.323A Approaching certain stationary vehicles
- 321.324 Operation on approach of emergency vehicles
- 321.324A Funeral processions
- 321.327 Pedestrians’ right-of-way
- 321.329 Duty of driver – pedestrians crossing or working on highways.
- 321.333 Duty of drivers (approaching visually impaired persons)
In the past five years (2020-16), fatal crashes involving bicyclists were charged as follows:
- Failure to Maintain Control: 7%
- Homicide by Vehicle: 33%
- Leaving the Scene: 13%
- No charges: 20%
- Steering Unreasonably Close to a Bicyclist: 27% (4 crashes)
We have grouped our bills by subject because multiple bills may address the same topic. Learn more on each topic at:
Or return to our legislative page: https://www.iowabicyclecoalition.org/policy-and-legislation/