The Iowa Bicycle Coalition is currently monitoring the following bills relating to low-speed electric-assist bicycles. PeopleForBikes is recommending that Iowa update its current regulations to accommodate class 3 electric bicycles already on the market.
WHERE THIS BILL IS NOW:
HF2409 (formerly HSB630) has been recommended for passage by the Iowa House Transportation Committee and referred to the Iowa House Ways & Means Committee. SF2354 has passed the Senate Transportation Committee and has been referred to the Iowa Senate for debate and passage.
TAKE ACTION ON HF2409 & SF2354:
We are currently asking bicyclists to email their legislators in the House and Senate. It takes a minute to fill out the form below and send an email to your senator and representative.
CURRENT POSITION: SUPPORT
Iowa’s current definition of electric-assist bicycles does not recognize the class 3 e-bikes currently on the market. The bill proposed would further define a low-speed electric-assist bicycle as a bicycle.
We have grouped our bills by subject because multiple bills may address the same topic. Learn more on each topic at:
- Safe Passing of Bicycles: www.iowabicyclecoalition.org/passing
- Bicycle Visibility: www.iowabicyclecoalition.org/visibility
- E-Bikes: www.iowabicyclecoalition.org/ebikes
- Handsfree Cellphones: www.iowabicyclecoalition.org/handsfree
- Natural Resources & Outdoor Recreation Trust: www.iowabicyclecoaliton.org/trust
Or return to our legislative page: www.iowabicyclecoalition.org/legislation