Several bills in the Iowa Legislature try to address bicycle visibility during sunset to sunrise hours and at all times.
TAKE ACTION ON SF2090:
Successor to SF2090. This bill has passed the Senate Transportation Committee and is awaiting debate in the Iowa Senate.
CURRENT POSITION: NEUTRAL
We are neutral SF2090 at this time. While we are supportive of increased visibility at night, we also understand there are access issues especially for low-income and rural populations. However, light technology has improved and costs have lowered. We also believe there is more that could be added to this bill, like a provision to change lanes to pass bicycles that could improve bicycle safety.
ACTION REQUESTED: Contact your Iowa Senator.
We have grouped our bills by subject because multiple bills may address the same topic. Learn more on each topic at:
- Safe Passing of Bicycles: www.iowabicyclecoalition.org/passing
- Bicycle Visibility: www.iowabicyclecoalition.org/visibility
- E-Bikes: www.iowabicyclecoalition.org/ebikes
- Handsfree Cellphones: www.iowabicyclecoalition.org/handsfree
- Natural Resources & Outdoor Recreation Trust: www.iowabicyclecoaliton.org/trust
Or return to our legislative page: www.iowabicyclecoalition.org/legislation