Do you want more kids walking or bicycling to school? The Iowa Bicycle Coalition is hiring a Safe Routes To School program Manager to run an encouragement and education program directed at elementary and middle schools across the state. In-state travel required. Full-time position with health/dental insurance. Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
THE IOWA BICYCLE COALITION
The Iowa Bicycle Coalition is a statewide nonprofit bicycle advocacy organization working to promote Iowa bicycling as safe and enjoyable recreation and transportation. Since 2003, the Iowa Bicycle Coalition has worked to increase bicycling across Iowa by promoting programs like Bike To Work, the Iowa Bicycle Summit, and Safe Routes To Schools.
PURPOSE & GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Safe Routes to School is a movement focused on enabling children to use active forms of transportation, using a wide range of strategies: education, encouragement, engineering, and enforcement. In 2007 the Iowa Bicycle Coalition was hired to manage the Iowa Department of Transportation’s Safe Routes to School encouragement and education program, whose main focus has been traffic safety education and the encouragement of active transportation.
The Manager of the Safe Routes to School program will: market the program to public and private school administration statewide; manage content and dissemination of all program publications and website; evaluate the School Safety program and recommend improvements on an ongoing basis. The Safe Routes Manager will also oversee the design and implementation of additional comprehensive Safe Routes campaigns.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP & WORK ENVIRONMENT
The Program Manager will generally work 40 hours/week, Monday through Friday, during business hours. The Program Manager will be located at the Iowa Bicycle Coalition offices, working off-site and on evenings and weekends as needed. The Program Coordinator will report to the Iowa Bicycle Coalition Executive Manager.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Program Manager duties include:
- Act as a liaison to Iowa private and public school administrators for delivery of bicycling and pedestrian safety education.
- Market presentations to administration and schools, as needed.
- Review and revise existing in-class presentation material as needed.
- Review and revise on-foot traffic safety workshops.
- Deliver bicycling and pedestrian safety information and active living messages to students at public and private schools, as needed.
- Extend safe routes education and encouragement programs.
- Create/update/print school safety publications as necessary.
- Identify distribution points and manage the distribution of school safety publications.
- Revise, maintain, and develop new written and online teacher resources.
- Maintain program budgets and report on progress.
- Evaluate past and current school safety education programs and recommend improvements.
- Respond to safety and traffic-related requests from schools.
- Able to excel in a team working environment.
- Program management experience.
- Commitment to active transportation.
- Experience in establishing professional working relationships with outside organizations.
- Demonstrated completion of complex projects under limited supervision.
- Exceptional at solving problems and formulating and implementing creative strategies.
- Able to communicate well with people of all ages, abilities, cultural groups, economic statuses, sexual orientations, and disabilities.
- Writes and speaks in a friendly, concise, and accurate manner.
- Experience working with children.
- Self-motivated and well-organized.
- Experience teaching bicycling and/or pedestrian safety.
- Experience training adults or training trainers.
- Classroom teaching experience.
Candidates should email their resume and cover letter to:
Please, no calls or inquiries.